Indian Recipes for Spring: Ten-Minute Vegan Spring Onion Soup
Posted on 1st April 2016
Easter (and Holi) sprung upon us last week, and now the clocks have gone back, spring has truly begun. If the brighter days and warmer weather is filling you with the joys of spring, then why not try this quick, easy and healthy Indian recipe.
Spring onions are available all year round, but we think their light, peppery taste is perfect for spring. With some delicious warm spices thrown in, this soup has a bit of a kick to it – proving that healthy doesn’t need to mean tasteless. Even better, this Indian recipe is vegan, gluten-free and dairy free, making this is a great choice if you or any of your guests have a dietary requirement.
Ingredients (serves two)
1 bunch of spring onions
2 cloves of garlic
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp coriander
Salt and pepper
Fresh parsley, to garnish
- Peel and chop the garlic. Fry lightly in a large saucepan.
- Chop the spring onions and add to the pan. Fry for a few minutes on a low heat.
- Peel the potato and chop into small pieces. Add to the pan and stir.
- Season with salt and pepper, then add the water. Simmer until the potatoes are cooked.
- Take the pan off the heat and allow to cool for a few minutes. Blend the soup until smooth in a blender or with a hand blender.
- Add the cumin and coriander. Simmer the soup for a few minutes, stirring occasionally. Add more water if the soup is too thick.
- Serve piping hot and garnish with parsley.
Feel like some authentic Indian cuisine to spice up your spring? Book a table at Chakra on Holland Street this season.